Typically what will happen is you will receive an email claiming to be from Facebook. This email may say something along the lines of:
Dear user of facebook,
Because of the measures taken to provide safety to our clients, your password has been changed. You can find your new password in attached document.
You account has been compromised. For your safety, please follow this link to change your password.
This email will be accompanied with a link or an attached file for you to click on to change your password. If you click it, you will be asked to enter your email address and password. And there you have it; you have just given the hacker the information needed to get into your account.
So how do you prevent it?
- NEVER click on links or files sent on emails.
- Log into your account by going directly to the website and change your password.
- Don’t trust emails that look different than the typical Facebook emails ie: email does not contain logos, logos look different, the link is not http://www.facebook.com, the email did not come from ***@facebookmail.com
- Always trust your instincts. If it looks suspicious, it probably is.
What do I do if my account has been hacked?
- Immediately go to http://www.facebook.com and change your password. This should take care of the problem.
- If you are unable to login to your account because you have been hacked, go to http://www.facebook.com/help/ and click on: Hacked accounts and spam. (If you believe your account has been hacked or phished, please follow this link.
Facebook has now also implemented a new security feature. When logging in to your account from a new computer, it will now ask you for additional security information. The new feature will ask you information about your friends and not about you. Beware if the information asked is about you personally; when in doubt contact Facebook directly. I hope this tips keep your Facebook account safe.
Now you know what to look in order to protect your Facebook privacy and safety. Keep in mind, when in doubt, don’t proceed and contact Facebook directly. Happy Facebooking!
Fuller Online Solutions specialty is promoting your business online using social media, search engine optimization, Internet marketing and website design. Visit http://www.fuller-online.com